In 1972, The student body voted to change the Southern Miss mascot and nickname from the "Southerners" and "General Nat" to the "Golden Eagles."  This photo captures the passing of an era.

Golden Eagles
was selected over Golden Raiders, Timber Wolves, War Lords and Southerners.  It took two votes to get the 60 percent majority needed but "Golden Eagles" eventually won out over "Southerners."
Did you know...

College Hall, Forrest County Hall, Hattiesburg Hall, the Industrial Cottage (now the Honors House) and the President's Home (now the Alumni House) 

All five buildings opened their doors to students on September 18, 1912 and still exist on campus today. is not affiliated with the University of Southern Mississippi.  It was created and registered on the 10th of May 1999 for the personal enjoyment of Southern Miss fans everywhere.
Built in 1921, the front of the University used to belong to a campus streetcar station, which was built as memorial to those who served in World War I.  The station also served as the home of Rev. and Mrs. W.E.Fail, who were the campus monitors.
My...How Times Have Changed!

Up through the 1920's, kissing could lead to suspension...anything more daring than that was considered a "shipping offense."  The act of "courting" was prohibited and highly discouraged.
Girls were even forbidden to ride in cars with males.

Rules were rigid and stricltly enforced.  Chapel (which was mandatory) was at 11 a.m. everyday.  Social hours were on Sundays from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and between dinner and 6:30 p.m. on weekdays, after which students went to their rooms for study hours until 10:15 p.m.

Lights out was at 10:30 p.m.

Students were forbidden to leave campus unless permission was granted by President Cook.

Dancing was prohibited until 1945...although during many of those years it was not enforced.

Smoking was prohibited as well.

March 30, 1910
By an act of the Legislature and signed by Gov. Edmund F. Noel Mississippi Normal (teachers) College (Now Southern Miss) was born.

Sept. 18, 1912 
The doors open with a faculty of 18 and 506 students.

The school colors Black and Gold were selected by the student body.

March 7,1924   
The Legislature changes the name to State Teachers College.

John Philip Sousa performes on Campus

Fall of 1939
The East Stadium Dormitory is named "The Rock."

Feb 8, 1940
The College ungoes another name change to Mississippi Southern College.

Dec. 7, 1941
Football star Andrew Webb was killed at Pearl Harbor.

Harry James & Spike Jones perform on Campus.

1958 & 1962
College Division National Championships in Football.
Feb 27, 1962
University of Southern Mississippi is born when Gov. Ross Barnett signed the Legislative bill and Southern Miss enters a new era.

The band (dubbed the Pride of Mississippi" along with the Southern Belles) were invited to perform at halftime during the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL.  During the halftime show a reporter referred to the Belles as "those darlings from Dixie."  The name stuck!

Oct. 17, 1970
USM's first defeat of Ole Miss in football.  The game was played in Oxford, MS with the final score 30-14.

Fall 1970 - Spring 1971
Tina Turner, Ray Charles and Bob Hope entertain on  campus.  Ralph Nader also speaks to the student body.

Nov 11, 1972
The student body votes to change the nickname from "Southerners" to the Golden Eagles.

Sept. 25, 1976
M.M. Roberts Stadium affectionately known as "The Rock" was dedicated (Although the stadium history dates back to October 29, 1932).

July 1995
Ms. Oseola McCarthy at the age of 87 donates more than $624,600 to Southern Miss and makes national news.

Sept. 2, 1998
Ms. Julie Ann Cook Sperber '86 and her husband Tom Sperber were killed in the crash of Swiss Air flight 111 as they traveled on their delayed honeymoon to Greece.

Sept 11, 2001              
Mr. Joseph Ferguson '84, Director with the National Georgraphic Society, falls vicitm of a terrorist attack.  Joe was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 77 which crashed into the Pentagon.
"Academic training is good, but academic training without manhood or womanhood is worthless." 
Dr. J. B. George
President 1933-1945

FastCounter by LinkExchange
The History of Southern Miss
1921 Football Team